Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Deceptively Delicious


The Cookbook

I recently purchased this cookbook (thanks for the recommend, Coly) to try and trick Wyatt into eating something that had even trace amounts of nutritional value. The concept is simple - hide nutrition into the foods kids already love. I made some lemon blueberry muffins this morning that had yellow squash puree mixed in and tonight we'll try the chicken nuggets ("chicken uggets" as Wyatt calls them) - chicken rolled in broccoli puree & bread crumbs. Hopefully I can wean Wyatt off of those gross dinosaur chicken nuggets (not sure they can even be called "chicken") & turkey hot dogs.

The Process

I bought fresh vegetables at the grocery store and either steamed or roasted them. Then they were put into the food processor and made into puree. Then into ziplock baggies for freezing.


Frozen Product

I just had to get a picture of the frozen product. They were all so colorful and pretty in my freezer!

6 comments:

Montz Family said...

Looks delicious Martha. Wanna come and cook for Andrew?

Nicole said...

thanks for sharing the muffins. they were delicious...deceptively delicious. how did wyatt like the chicken nuggets?

Michelle @ My Gluten-free Kitchen said...

Wow, I am so impressed! You really jumped right in and made a bunch. The great thing is, if Wyatt doesn't go for it, you've already got a bunch of baby food made for Max!

Unknown said...

That sounds great Lisa...let me know how well it works! I think I may soon be following in your footsteps!

Suzy said...

Wow Lisa, that looks really cool. I think I will check that out myself.

April Moffatt said...

Lisa- That looks beautiful! I bought that cookbook last year and I have to admit, the calliflower scrambled eggs were really good. Tell me what you think of the other receipes.