Sunday, February 1, 2009

Broken Baby

So....on Friday Max rolled off of his changing table. Luckily (or not) I was right there to see him fall. I've left him on the darned table hundreds of times knowing that I shouldn't because he's such a rolly poly but this time I was reaching for a pair of socks to put on him and off he went. He cried for a minute but then seemed fine so I laid him down for a nap and we went about our day. He slept a lot throughout the day and I thought that maybe his cold had gotten the best of him and he was just catching up on sleep. I noticed later in the afternoon that his left leg was considerably swollen. We finally took him into the ER Friday night and sure enough, his left femur was broken. It's a clean break but broken all the way through. The ER doc splinted it to stabilize it for the night but then we had to get a cast put on it yesterday afternoon. The cast is called a spica cast. It goes from his chest down the broken leg to ankle and down the good leg to his knee. He'll have to wear it about 5 weeks. He's been such a trooper. I, of course, have been raked with guilt for letting this happen. I know it's not my fault & that it could've happened to anyone, but I keep re-living that split second in my mind and wishing I could reverse time!

Max before the cast....

The cast...although this photo doesn't do it justice!~ It goes from his chest (just under his nipples all the way down the broken leg and half way down the good leg. There's a hole in the middle for him to do his "business" - which has already proven to be a MESS & is going to drive me insane for 5-6 weeks.

6 comments:

Eric said...

Cody, I saw your message on Twitter. As a father, and someone who has been through something similar, it gave me a knot in my stomach.

Just before our son's 3rd birthday, he got a buckle fracture on his left leg while I was taking him down a slide. So I completely understand your feelings of guilt!

Based on what we went through, I am guessing it is going to be a long 5-6 weeks. I'll be praying for strength for your family and a speedy recovery for your son!

Here is Caden's story:
http://www.ericmmartin.com/buckle-fracture/

Julia Kanouse said...

Oh Lisa! I'm so sorry that this happened - for you and for Max. I think we've ALL been there - as you said this could have happened to anyone. Luck just wasn't on your side that day. I'll be thinking and praying for all of you. Much love!

Kathy said...

Lisa! I am so sorry! The same thing happened to my nephew's baby right before Christmas. (Yep, I'm a great aunt! So old!) Anyway, she broke her femur and was in the same type of cast for 6 weeks. She was already crawling and just drug that thing all over. Hang in there!

Kathy said...

Lisa! I'm so sorry! My nephew's baby (yep, I'm a great-aunt. So old!)broke her leg when her mom fell while carrying her down their apartment stairs and landed with the baby's leg between her butt and the stair. Ouch. This was right before Christmas and her first birthday. She broke her femur and was in the same kind of cast with a bar between her legs. I guess that made carrying her handy. But she learned how to crawl with it and drug it all over. Hang in there.

Danielle said...

Oh, I am so sorry Lisa. I will be thinking of you guys - and praying for the 5 weeks to go by fast.

The Downey Blog said...

Lisa, like everyone else I am so sorry. This is something they always warn you about, but you never think it is going to happen to you. I will be praying for you and for Max's healing.