This past weekend in Moscow one of my friends, who shall remain nameless, (Jamie Kim) kept making fun of my wicked organizational skills. It was as though my neat-freak ways was a new thing to her. I've known the girl for most of my life! Yes, I printed out the itinerary for our weekend's events in Moscow. Yes, I have a house-duty list that I check off items as I complete them (will post more on this later). Yes, I do meal planning! I've tended to hide how freakishly organized I am....until now! To give an example of how delightfully organized I am, I'm attaching of photo of my meal planning board. Eat your heart out, Jamie Kim! (I'm fairly certain Jamie never reads my blog...)
Every week I go through my recipes or search online & I make a weekly menu. I then make a grocery list from that menu. I put that menu on a dry-erase board attached to my fridge. This keeps me...yes, organized....but also keeps me on budget. It's much easier to buy all the groceries at once & not spend a lot (thank you, Winco!) instead of going to Albertson's (which is right around the corner) every time I need a small item. I don't clip coupons, although I've tried to get on board, but find this way just works best for me. I haven't been able to shift my way of thinking around to make coupons work in my life.
So what if maybe I'm a bit over the top? In a world where so few things are actually in my control anymore, these little things are!
Organization freaks, unite! :)
10 comments:
Love it! That is great that you've found what works for you!
I was very impressed with how many veggies I saw on your meal plan! :)
And in response to your comment on Facebook, yes you can move in with me. I would gladly make dessert for you every night if you show up with some of your extra organizational skills! I've got them in my head too, but have gotten pretty lax about putting them into practice.
Don't be too impressed, Michelle. The meals on my plan are usually consumed by the 2 adults in my house while the kids get chicken nuggets and apples for dinner! Boo to picky eaters!
i do really good with this for a few weeks and then i fall off the wagon. but i love how organized i feel when i actually stick to it! love you lis!!
I do this too!! It has saved us a TON of money, and I don't throw away nearly as much spoiled food as I used to. Not to mention how much saner I feel come 5:00 every day.
I use a paper calendar so that I can keep track of what everyone liked. But we do have a dry erase board in the laundry room where we track school stuff...just wait until kindergarten...
One of my favorite things to do is go through my Food Network magazine and mark the recipes I'm going to try out. So I don't think you're over the top. :)
Now, if I can only get my garage to look like yours...
I thought this was normal. I do the exact same thing. Planning 2 weeks of meals grocery shopping and have everything typed out on the fridge -what we're having every meal. It makes things so much simpler! We've been under the weather over here so I haven't been able to run to WinCo for my major shopping. We were desperate for some food so I bought stuff at Albertsons (right across the street) to get us to this weekend and spent $63.00 for 2 days! OUCH!
Believe it or not I have a Meal Planning sheet on my fridge too :)
I meal plan too and it has been a God send for our house! We save money, don't eat out much at all, AND have lunch to pack for the next day. I don't, however have it posted on a whiteboard - I like that idea! As for coupons.....I've tried and went WAY overboard. Now I've found a happy medium that I can tell you about if you are interested. Share more organization stuff, LIsa!!!
If only I could be this organized. Maybe I will make this a goal when I am cooking for 2 adults again. love you!
My soul sista! I do this EXACT same thing - seriously, the exact same thing! Granted, there's usually a take-out meal or two worked in (especially on the weekends) but, otherwise, it looks like you took a picture of my white board!
WOW...I do read your blog (Jamie = sporadic)...you know this! Can you come and organize me? Or can I just copy your whiteboard? I try...but end up doing it weekly, and not as organized as you. You go girl!
Post a Comment