Did I really say that? I'm happy staying at home with my kids? Happy doing it?
It's no surprise to anyone who knows me or who reads my blog that it's taken me quite a while to adjust staying at home with my kids (see prior posted Target conversation with my husband....ouch). Let me clarify, I've always known that staying at home with my children was better for them. I know that I like them raised a certain way and the only way to ensure they are being raised in that way is to do it myself. I'm not overly strict, but I do try to be the boss to my kids (notice I say 'try' here). I never knew until recently that I'm actually happy that I get to stay at home with them. It's only taken 20 months, but I can honestly say that I'm happy with the decision to do so! Wahoo!
What led me to this insightful conclusion? Jury duty. That's right - jury duty. Last week I was called for jury duty. I woke up to an actual alarm clock (gasp, I know!) as opposed to my 4 year old shouting in my ear, "May I PLEEEEASE have some apple juice?" I got ready, made breakfast, got my children ready, took them to the grandparents and made the drive I've made thousands of times to the courthouse in downtown Boise. It felt weird. It felt rushed. It felt WRONG!
I know what you are thinking....especially if you are a working mom who juggles it all and manages just fine....."I do that every day!" God Bless YOU! Maybe I'm just out of practice....but I'm happy I get to stay at home and not adjust my life and my kids' lives to that kind of schedule. I'll take my apple-juice-requesting-four-year-old alarm clock any day of the week. :)
8 comments:
AMEN Lisa! And what a blessing you CAN stay home! I know many moms who would love to but financially can't.
So sweet Lisa! I enjoyed reading this. I know it has been such a process and I'm glad you are enjoying it now!
Many blessings among your family activities, Lisa! Take more pics than we took and talk back to the occasion of a pic to remember how cozy the tire sandbox can be in a neighborhood park or important a fire ring is for every camper. Your children will love that you taught them to be smarter or instigated a lesson well learned through memories.
Yes, being home is WORK, you haven't hit the cookies-good for you ingredients, and milk after school mom. Love that 'O, you're home' our kids can hang until I'm off or errands are run assumption -you are the loving figure in all their lives! Your home smells so yummie and the kids all have veggies, oatmeal, organic dark sugar, etc., in their warm cookies.
Blessings!
Thank you for sharing this with all of us Lisa! But don't sell yourself short...you are working, you just don't get a paycheck to deposit in the bank. You get a deposit into your heart and memories!! Staying at home is a full time job X 3!! I am now in the time of my life when I can go back to work and still be there for my kids (I only work when they are in school and I work at school). It is a huge blessing to our family that I was able to be home all those years. Was it easy? Not always. Did we struggle financially? Constantly, but in the end, I got to raise my kids, not daycare and I didn't miss out on their special moments. Be proud of your choice and don't second guess it. You will be blessed by the Lord!!
I'm so happy to hear you say this. I really think that it's all about finding peace with whatever choice you make - stay home, work outside of the home, a little of both. The worst place to be is doing one and wishing you were doing the other! I'm glad you've found that the grass is greener right where you are!
Yep, yep, yep. It's so strange to think about giving up that identity and social circle and alone peeing time that you get from having a career. Not to mention the paycheck...But isn't it great when you hit your stride as an at home mom and realize that you don't miss it? Great post. I'm right there with you.
Good for you, your mom and I are proud of you and your commitment to your family........
Its a never ending job...
This made me smile! Your work at home is Kingdom work my friend! When it gets overwhelming, remember that! You may not get a paycheck for what you do but you are storing up treasures in heaven!
Post a Comment