Friday, June 4, 2010

A New Life Chapter

My husband took the plunge and started freelance work this week.  Just freelance work.  He quit his job, got himself a tax ID and started working for himself.  For HIMSELF!  He's changed jobs often in the past few years and I've never felt stressed about the moves.  But this one is a doozy and has left me a little uncomfortable.  Don't get me wrong...I trust him and trust that he's an excellent web-developer, but the idea that there may be times when there is no work is incredibly hard for me to digest.  I'm a total control freak and the uncertainty of it all is really hard for me.

And, we are not, by nature, very good with money.  We aren't in huge debt (other than our mortgage....now, with our house being worth about $60K less than what we now owe!)  We just never had to think about our purchases.  We bought what we wanted when we wanted to without much thought about it.  With him doing this kind of work we will have to change all that and become the savers I have always wanted us to be.  This, I know, is a good thing.

And, we have to get insurance on our own.  Wow....it's expensive!  

Breathe in.  Breathe out.  Breathe in.  Breathe out.

I pray that this is the right move for our family & that God has us where He wants us to be.

3 comments:

Kate said...

Will be praying for you guys. Online Dave Ramsey program (we too online 16 week class) has drastically changed our ability to prioritize and save money.....may be worth a look.

Heather said...

Think of it as an opportunity to trust God in a way you've never had to before and then be excited to see how he provides and takes care of you...cause he WILL take care of you! I will be praying for you and the adjustments!

Michelle @ My Gluten-free Kitchen said...

This will be such a good growing experience for you both. I'm sure there will be challenges, but it sounds like you are going in with eyes wide open and ready. Praying for you during this change and all the adjustments you'll be making.