Monday, April 20, 2009

Gardening


Okay, brace yourselves. Not only am I NOT going to blog something about my children but I'm blogging about gardening! This is exciting stuff, people! I've never gardened anything before. I'm actually quite lucky that my indoor plants are still alive! I've forgotten more times than I care to remember to water them (for months at a time). Cody built me two raised garden beds this Spring and I've just begun the fun of planting. I had already planted some stuff in one bed when a friend of mine recommended "square-foot gardening" (thanks, Coly).

The concept is interesting. Divide the beds into 1 foot squares. Each square holds different amounts of seeds/plants, depending on the vegetable. Supposedly this method out produces other gardening methods, requires very little space, uses less water, is all natural & there is no (or very little) weeding. Sounds good to me! My beds are 8x4 feet so that's 32 squares for all sorts of different plants! So far I've planted 2 varieties of lettuce, carrots, peas & onions. I have quite a few plants that I'm just waiting on the weather to put into the garden. So exciting.

Stay tuned to see how it all works out.

7 comments:

Michelle @ My Gluten-free Kitchen said...

sounds fun! I'm excited to see how it turns out. I've seen that book recommended a few places now.

Julia Kanouse said...

Good luck! From previous blogs, I know Wyatt's a picky eater. Maybe having him help with the planting and the gardening will get him excited about eating vegetables? It's one of the tricks I read about in Parenting magazine. I'd love to try it with Avery but our concrete parking spot out back isn't so condusive to growing things! :-)

Jory said...

Great idea, we love gardening. We eat fresh vegetables all summer and then freeze, can or store some so we can eat them year round. Raised beds are a great idea, but make sure the wood you used to build them is untreated (it looks like it is). Treated lumber will leach chemicals into the soil and then into your food. Have fun!

The Mairs family said...

Way to go Lis! Looks awesome. There is nothing like fresh veggies from the garden!Zucchini, beets and green beans are good too! Oh and try some herbs, like basil, rosemary and thyme. Enjoy!

Heather said...

Good for you Lisa! Every year I think about doing it and then dont! =)

Croslands said...

I love it! And I'm jealous. Planter boxes are something I think about every year. That's about as far as it gets for me.

April Moffatt said...

That looks awesome!